We’re just finishing up a crazy heat wave here that saw temperatures well over 100F across most of LA. I’m lucky to work near the beach where it’s much cooler but it’s still close to 90 when I get home at night. Granted, I know I have no right to complain given that our weather is perfect 98% of the time and just “really good” the remaining 2% but I still haven’t been super excited to turn on the oven at night.
Ceviche to the rescue! This is an old favorite I haven’t made in years but will be making much more often now that we remember how awesome it is. The trick is super fresh fish – I splurged at our fancy schmancy seafood shop for fresh local halibut but any not-too-oily fish will work in this recipe. Most other white fish won’t need quite as much time as the halibut to cook.
So, this dish is freak-out good. It’s actually been a week since I made it and Brad is still reminiscing almost daily. We served it as a full-on entree with just some chips and hot sauce but keep it in mind as an hors d’oevre or appetizer. Because the citrus juices actually cook the fish, we didn’t hesitate to take leftovers to work for lunch the next day and they were just as tasty. This dish is paleo, gluten-free, and overall very healthy excluding the chips part (it can also be served over lettuce). I hope you can try it out soon!
- 1 lb fresh halibut
- 1/2 c lemon juice
- 1/2 c lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 c red onion, finely diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 c cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
Dice halibut and combine with lemon and lime juice in a large bowl. Add minced jalapeno and refrigerate, covered, 2-6 hours.
Drain most of the liquid from the fish (reserve 1-2 tbs as dressing) and add remaining ingredients. Serve with tortilla chips.
Calories 324 / Total Fat 16.5g / Saturated Fat 2.8g / Trans Fat 0.0g / Cholesterol 47mg / Sodium 96mg / Potassium 598mg / Total Carbohydrates 13.4g / Dietary Fiber 5.5g / Sugars 5.1g / Protein 33.5g
Weight Watchers Points: 7 / PointsPlus: 8