We make these amazingly delicious burgers for special occasions, small summer celebrations or when entertaining. However, they’re simple enough to make anytime if you have more self control than I do.
These were one of Brad’s and my favorite meals for years but I could never get a decent picture before we devoured them. Five years after I originally posted, I’m finally able to update this in time to hopefully convince you to make these over the summer.
Brad gets the credit for the recipe development here – I just refined. Many years ago he set out to make salmon burgers but happily bought crab-stuffed salmon fillets. He also received the divine inspiration to pair the luscious result with a super tangy, addictive mustard sauce that we’ve perfected over time. This recipe makes a ton of sauce but we still end up scraping the bowl at the end.
Make these this summer, gorge yourself, and, as you’re licking the sauce off your greasy, mustardy fingers, take comfort in the fact that these are less than 350 calories a serving, gluten free, paleo-friendly and a good source of omega-3s. I lighten them up even more with light mayo and the result is just as crazy yummy.
Salmon Crab Burgers with Zesty Creole Mustard Sauce
- 3/4 lb skinless salmon chopped
- 16 oz can crabmeat drained
- 1 c red onion finely diced
- 1/4 c red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 c fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbs Louisiana hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- olive oil spray (I use my Misto)
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 1/4 c mustard dijon or spicy brown
- 1/2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except olive oil.
- Mix well and divide into quarters. Shape each quarter into a patty.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and spray with olive oil. Add the patties and cook until bottoms are browned, about 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the other side is brown and the burger is cooked through, another 5 minutes or so.
- Serve burger with mustard sauce on a bed of greens or on toasted ciabatta.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.